Finding a healthy snack isn't as easy as it used to be now that I'm a mom. I used to be so good about precutting veggies and having other healthy options in the fridge. But lately with the holiday season I haven't had the time. I wanted to make something that I could make and leave in the fridge for the week. I have seen these types of energy bites on pinterest and decided to try some for myself. I changed the recipes per my liking and I think turned out great. I ended up snacking on them and breaking them up and putting them in my yogurt in the morning. They are the perfect snack and I actually eat them as my "dessert"!
I had seen a bunch of different type of mixtures online, so I of put together some of my personal favorite ingredients to create these energy bites. Adding the chocolate made them a little more of a splurge but it was worth it! The best part about these is you can literally add anything in that you want. I can't wait to switch things up next time I made them.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1//3 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp water
- less than 1/4 cup honey * I orginally wasn't trying to use honey cause I wanted Leo to be able to eat them, but I needed some more moisture so I added in less than 1/4 cup of honey.
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and stir together until combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Using hands to form into round balls.
- Place back into the fridge for another 30 minutes so formation can congeal.
- Store energy balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Cheers and Enjoy!