No calorie splurge here with these carrot and zucchini tots. I was making them for Leo, but Jay and I ended up also eating them for dinner. I won't lie they don't taste like real tater tots, but they are pretty good. Especially when dipped in some ketchum. Leo mowed them down and it is a great way to get some healthy veggies into your kids diet!
ok this Microplane Ribbon Grater is the best!! You can get it on amazon or I'm sure at your local stores, I was able to shred both the zucchini and the carrots with it.
- 2 zucchini, shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Johnny's Seasoning salk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Grate zucchini then place it in a colander or strainer over the sink. Add salt and gently toss; let sit for 10 minutes. Try and drain zucchini completely using a dish towel or paper towels, removing as much water as possible.
- Peel and shred carrots.
- In a large bowl mix in zucchini, carrots, bread crumbs, eggs, cheeses, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and seasoning salt ; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Form the carrot and zucchini mixture into tots and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 20-25 minutes, flipping then 1/2 way during the cooking time.
- Let cool then serve with parsley and ketchup.
They were super easy to make and the best part was how healthy and easy they were. Leo had 4 of them for dinner, he went nuts for them. Like I said this is a great way to sneak veggies into your kiddos diet!