Ok I swear I'll blog more about things other than food.... but I have the EASIEST recipe that I made up and had to share. This was so good, so healthy (minus some cheese), and so easy. After I had Monroe a girlfriend made us quinoa enchiladas and they were insanely good. I wanted to make something similar but didn't want to take the time to actually make the enchiladas so I kinda just put it all together to make a casserole. The hardest part about this recipe is that is does get a few dish dirty with the crock pot, pot for quinoa, and casserole dish. So the clean up took a little longer than I'd prefer but the end result is a easy healthy recipe for my family so I'll take the 15 minute clean up post meal.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (10-ounce) can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed (we didn't do this))
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 bell pepper, sliced and cooked
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I added more to make ours spicer)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Using 1 can of chicken stock, pour into crock put and add in 3 chicken breasts. Set on high and cook for 3 hours. Shred chicken and set aside.
- In a large saucepan using 2 cups water (or I used the left over chicken juice from the cooked chicken breasts), cook quinoa according to package instructions. I also added my bell pepper to the quinoa and let that cook in with it. Set aside
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, quinoa, bell pepper, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans (optional), cilantro, cumin and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Spread quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and cheeses have melted, about 15 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes to cool then serve and garnished with avocado and tomato.
A quick and healthy meal for 2019! I have a feeling it'll be even better as a left over tomorrow.