When we first had Leo someone brought us over stuffed shells, they were so good, but look very difficult to make. I had been intimated. So one day when Jay was off work and able to watch Leo I tacked this project expecting it to take 2 hours. Surprisingly it took less than 20 minutes. I was blown away how easy and delicious these were to make. I made this for a "meat less monday" meal. My husband didn't even miss the meat.
- 12 oz package of jumbo shells
- 10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach
- 15 oz ricotta cheese (I used part skim)
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper chili flakes
- 1 25 oz jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in a little salt and the jumbo shells. Cook according to package directions for al dente. Be careful not to overcook the shells. Drain and put aside to cool.
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave. Using a paper towel, wring out the excess liquid. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl stir together the ricotta, cottage cheese, half of the grated mozzarella, Parmesan, oregano, red pepper chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir in the spinach.
- Scoop the filling into the shells and place in a baking dish.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes; uncover and bake for 5 minutes until cheese is melted and shells are hot. Serve immediately.